Saturday, October 8, 2011

French Onion Soup

I am not even sure why I made this soup today. I mean, it is soup season, we are well into October...right? But wait, it hit 80 degrees again today...what's that about?!? Seriously warmest fall I can remember. I guess my innards really want it to be fall so they can experience all the cozy-warm-things that come with this time before the world(ahem, the northland)goes snow white. So I made soup. Yepper doodle, I did. Found this on another blog actually, called (never home)maker. Fairly snazzy looking blog if you ask me. So anywho, I made it and it was well worth the effort. Its not that its super hard, just a bit time consuming. And tears, lots and lots of tears. The soup honestly turned out amazing! I wish I had enough to share with everyone right now, cause I would! I am drooling at the thought of how awesome it would be with melty melty cheese all up on top though. Ugh! But seriously, doesn't need it. We were going to have soup and salad for dinner but got caught up in the wonderment that is this soup and forgot about the salads. Oh well. I would like to note that I didn't have vegetable broth on hand, so I just made the equivalent with some veg bouillon cubes and it turned out fine. And the bread I used was some wheat that I had made a few days earlier in the week, I cut into big cubes and toasted the bread in the oven so it was like big croutons.

INGREDIENTS:
2 lbs of yellow onions, sliced
2 tbls olive oil
1 tbls maple syrup
salt & pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teas ground coriander
8 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
bread, cubed

*Heat 2 tbls of olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onions and let them cook for about 10 mins, stirring often. Once softened add maple syrup and s&p. Stirring well, mindful of the temp you don't want to burn the onions, for 20 mins. You want the onions to be golden. Add garlic, coriander, and broth. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 30 mins.
*About 20 min after boil, heat the 1/4 cup of olive oil in a pan on medium-low heat. Add the flour to the oil and stir continuously for 10 minutes. The flower should become a deep brown and smell kind of nutty.
*Add the roux to the soup and simmer for another 5 or so mins. Serve with the bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment