Monday, October 3, 2011

Asparagus Stir-Fry

Day 1! Pretty sure I wont be counting everyday off like this, but the first day is kind of exciting, I gotta admit. Most of these posts will be dinner meals, with the occasional snack and dessert mixed in. Well, I guess I take it back, I put no parameters or limitations on this food blog. But for today, it was dinner. And it was smashing!!! I adore asian style food and this fit in the category of stir-fry for sure. I got the inspiration from here, and made a few minor changes based on what I had in my kitchen. Not to mention bumping up the recipe so that it would suffice for the needs of our family....aka dinner for myself and Al with leftovers for Al's lunch the next day, at least. I made some basic brown rice to go along with this dish. I am honestly considering it as one of my top five meals that ever cooked. It had so many levels of flavor and great textures. Al was also a fan. There was only enough left overs for one, and I am graciously giving it to him for his lunch...he should honestly give me a really good foot rub or do the dishes for that kind of treatment. This was a wicked awesome meal, will for sure make again.

INGREDIENTS:
3(or so) tbls sesame oil
1 14oz pack of extra firm tofu, cut into pieces
2 shallots, chopped
1 inch of ginger, finely chopped
1 teas crushed red pepper
1 bunch of asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
pinch of salt
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup toasted cashews
2 cups spinach
zest and juice from a lime
3 tbls hoisin sauce
mint
basil

*Heat the oil in a skillet or wok over med-high. When oil is hot drop in the tofu and cook until golden brown on both sides. Remove tofu and set aside. 
*Add some more oil into the pan and once its hot add shallots, ginger, red pepper, asparagus, and salt. Cook for 2 minutes and then add the garlic, cashews and spinach. Once the spinach wilts, add the tofu back in. Then zest the lime and add its juice. After that stir in the hoisin sauce and let it all come together for a couple minutes.
*Take off the heat and add in the mint and basil to your liking. Stir & serve.

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! This meal sounds delicious. I am excited to read of your attempt at veganism. My vegan day was a fail today after a wonderful oatmeal bfast and a lunch invention that was better as an idea than reality. I made some falafel then remembered yogurt is dairy so I had no niffy falafel cucumber sauce to dip my little bean patties in so I put one between 2 giant organic blue chips and added tomato, red and yellow peppers and avocado and it wasnt amazing. Not at all. But I ate 2 in the name of getting my fill of healthy protein. A little later I began to feel extremely nauseous. To the point I thought I had developed a sudden stomach flu? Or perhaps an e coli peice of pepper?? Anyway, after a few hours of that I decided maybe it would help if I ate something. I staggered to the car and went to Culvers for some plain mashed potatoes-but then I saw the menu board. Oh boy. What came out of my mouth was this. An order of mashed potatoes without gravy please. And somehow my mouth opened up again and said could I also have a grilledcheesekidsmealswithfriesandapepsi? WHAT??? Did I say that!!
    There was nothing to do but come home and eat the food. Which I did and with relish and I might add my stomach feels wonderful! I think somehow I made awful falafel. I think I might put that on my list with tofo-something to practice and improve upon. So, I fell off my vegan wagon with a bang today and wish I'd made something delicious and nutritious like Asparagus Stir Fry. Way to go Kati. I have fresh inspiration for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not awful falafel!!?!? Ha, oh cherrie! I'm actually gonna be making some falafel this week, but its not your traditional stuff. Its a sweet potato falafel. So we'll see how that turns out. Thanks for being my first comment! Its uber awesome of you to be so encouraging!! Hope your food future doesn't result in more spontaneous fast food trips. :]

    ReplyDelete