Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Sweet Potato Muffins

Last night was my first post and I was delighted to start off with such an amazing meal. For todays post we've gone a bit of a different route. Tuesdays are Al's long day at school...well, really most of them are. But on Tuesdays he has class from 12-5 and 6-8:30, not to mention he usually goes to school around 8 in the morning to get things done. Long story...semi-long, he's gone all day. So I usually don't end up making a big meal, usually a soup or something that we can eat over the next couple days. Or I'll putts around making snacks or baked goods. That's what I did this afternoon. Last week my good friend Cherrie (hi cherrie!) let me borrow "eat vegan on $4 a day". A simple little cookbook with all kinds of vegan options and very reasonable prices. I copied out a few of the recipes in anticipation of this week endeavors. Todays baked good: sweet potato muffins. I looked at the recipe and I had my doubts, not gonna lie. My mind (and hips) immediately longed to see ingredients like butter and eggs and oil. Which were no where to be found. This recipe baked 10 hearty muffins. My kitchen has a wonderful fall scent still wafting into the rest of the house. They honestly turned out great. Next time I might do a little brown sugar & cinnamon topping, to make them more of a dessert type of baked good. But thumbs up from me...we'll see what the husband says when he, most likely scarfs one down within ten seconds of walking in the door tonight. 

INGREDIENTS: 
2 cups all-purpose wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar less 1 tbls
1 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls baking powder
1/2 teas baking soda
1/2 teas cinnamon
1/2 teas salt
1/4 teas ground nutmeg
1 large sweet potato, cooked and mashed(1 3/4 cup approx)
1/2 cup water

optional:
1/2 cup raisins

*Pre-heat oven to 375
*Put all ingredients except the sweet potato and water in a bowl and stir to combine. 
*Add the sweet potato and water. Stir to combine and make sure all is mixed together well.
*Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray. Fill each muffin cup just about full. 
*Place in the oven, cook for 25-30 minutes. The tops of the muffins should bounce back when lightly pressed. Remove and let muffins cool in tin for 1-2 minutes prior to putting on a cooling rack. 

1 comment:

  1. yum!! i think i'll be trying this as soon as i'm up to a trip to the store! :)

    ReplyDelete