Thursday, December 8, 2011

W. W. Bread

I think in the past year I've made dozens and dozens of loaves of bread. I rarely buy bread at the grocery store anymore. Except for a good marble rye, which happens every now and again. After tweaking this and that recipe I've come up with a mighty fine loaf of bread. It functions for us as a decent sandwich bread, toasted or not. And I always enjoy when its fresh out of the oven and I just can't wait and I cut off a chunk and smother some butter on it and it melts right before my eyes. That might be why I keep doing this. Ha!! Don't judge.

The W. W. doesn't exactly stand for whole wheat. Its a combo wheat white bread. I've found that while I enjoy both extremes of the bread world (a nice hearty whole grain and a classic white) this is a nice middle ground. All things considered I enjoy its simplicity as well. One would think that after making so much bread I would a. have a bread machine or b. have bread flour. Yeah...about that. I don't. Have either. I think part of it is having just one more thing in my already lacking space kitchen. Not to mention I know I (almost) always have all-purpose flour on hand. I've dabbled in straight wheat bread, but theres more happening there. This is simple, has only a few ingredients, and doesn't require that much kneading.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup warm water
2 tbls sugar
1 tbls dry active yeast
1 teas salt
3 tbls vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
cooking spray

*Dissolve the sugar into the water, then stir in the yeast. After about 10 minutes, once the yeast is creamy, add the rest of the ingredients.
*Once a ball forms, knead on a floured surface until smooth. Put into a boil sprayed with cooking spray. Roll around so all sides are oiled. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for an hour in a warm area. (Note: if you're avoiding huge heating costs like I, and your house is a bit chilly, just preheat your oven to like 100 and then turn it off and you place the dough in...cuts down the time it takes to rise by a good amount)
*Punch down dough and knead into a ball, form into loaf pan, coated with cooking spray, you're using. Let that rise again until about an 1" above the pan.
*Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
*Enjoy for the next few days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment