Thursday, December 8, 2011

Roasted Salsa

Now, I've dabbled with a few different salsa recipes in the past. My fav was a pineapple and black bean that I made months ago. But I've never really made a "I think I could eat this on anything" kind of salsa. I mean, when you have pineapple and black beans in it, you limit your options just a bit...not much, but I'm not sure I would have put that on say...eggs. In my constantly renewed efforts to eat healthy, salsa is a real good go-to. Its so much better for you than most other condiments. Especially when homemade. You can control and/or omit things like salt and sugar. This recipe is super easy and does just that. No sugar and minimal salt. I'm sure you could actually omit the salt. When I think about it I probably should have since most often we go to town on salsa with tortilla chips that have salt on them. Note to self.

This. Is. Easy. And makes a hearty portion of salsa. I adapted it from a recipe that I saw online but can't currently find. I was eating this stuff when it was still hot, temp wise, cause I just didn't care. It was also hot, spice wise, but again, didn't care and I loooove spicy food. Roasting all the veggies gives it some awesome flavor. So here it is....uber good, roasted salsa.

INGREDIENTS:
14 roma tomatoes
2 yellow onions
10 serrano peppers
5 cloves garlic
1 bunch cilantro
1 teas salt

*Slice tomatoes in half and place cut side up on a sheet pan. Peel and slice onions in half and again, cut side up. Cut the caps off the peppers and peel the garlic and place both on the pan.
*Roast at 375 for 45 minutes, or until your peppers start to go black.
*Put in a food processor along with chopped cilantro and salt. Process until desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment