Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Spicy Thai Noodles

Have I ever told you my favorite place in the whole world is Thailand? Cause it is. I've had the privilege of being all over the country(and it's neighbors). Thai food ranks as one of my favorite types...ever. It seems its in a three way tie with Chinese and Mexican. I think it boils down to my love of spicy food. Anyways, I have only dabbled in a few thai dishes. Most of them being complex in flavor and/or preparation. This, well its got all the flavor but is a pretty easy dish to make. Which is a winning combo in my book. We gobbled this stuff up in no time. 

Kitchen tid-bit: Ginger is something I find myself using more and more, but I can go a week or two without sometimes. Which can make for having to throw away shriveled up ginger fingers and having to buy new ones when you find yourself craving say...gingerbread mini muffins with a brown sugar glaze? (COMING SOON!!) Here's what ya do. Buy a good chunk of ginger. Peel and freeze! Then whenever you need some pull it out and grate it! Easy peasy! 

INGREDIENTS:
1 pkg of whole wheat spaghetti 
1 head of broccoli, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup water
1 tbls brown sugar
3 tbls low sodium soy sauce, divided
1 tbls rice vinegar
1 tbls sesame oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced or grated
1 tbls crushed red pepper flakes

*Prepare the pasta as directed, drain and set aside back in stock pot.
*While pasta is cooking, mix together peanut butter, water, sugar, soy, and vinegar and aside.
*Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and cook for 5-6 minutes. Add in 1 tbls of soy sauce as well as bell pepper, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. You can also add in a bit more water if needed. Cook until veggies are tender, another few minutes. Remove from heat.
*Place the pot with noodles back onto a medium heat. Pour in peanut sauce and the cooked veggies. Stir to coat and cook until everything is hot. 
*Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment